Enhance Your Memory With 10 Brain Foods
How often do you find yourself relying on apps, sticky notes, emails and texts to help you to remember basic details like your sister’s birthday, or a meeting etc? While it is easy to forget these smaller things as you are too busy doing things during the day, here are some foods that will aid your memory so that you won’t have to rely on things that these aids:
- Fish is a healthy source of omega 3 fatty acids, DHA – two essential components that help to boost your memory and overall performance of your brain. You can incorporate salmon, sardine or any other type of fish; you can also take fish oil supplements.
- Egg is a super food that not only helps you to lose weight but is also a source of choline – this substance enhances you memory as it helps in the production of acetylcholine, which is a neurotransmitter used by those parts of the brain that help with memory. If you are not a big fan of egg, you can also eat lecithin, wheat germ and spirulina that help in the development of acetylcholine.
- Walnuts are a source of alpha linolenic acid – this is a form of omega 3 fatty acid that the body uses to produce DHA. They also contain ellagic acid that prohibits the brain from deteriorating from damage brought on by free radicals.
- Gingko is an herb that is known to enhance memory. Gingko improves the flow of blood to the brain by expanding the blood vessels; this herb can be found in the form of pills, herbal tea.
- You can also use rosemary in your cooking to improve memory – the essential oil can be used in aroma therapy to enhance mental performance.
- Turkey is a source of L-tyrosine – a chemical; that is used on the brain to produce dopamine. This chemical is also found in fish, almonds, chicken, cheese and yoghurt.
- People on a low carbohydrate diet often feel spaced out, you can enhance your brain activity by eating those carbohydrate foods that have higher value like tomatoes. They are a rich source of potassium, anti oxidants and vitamins C and A. these chemicals will vitalize you and make you feel fresh.
- Quercetin is a flavonoid that can improve flow of blood to the brain, lower oxidative stress that helps boost your memory. You can find this substance in apples and capers.
- Red grapes are loaded with resveratrol – this compound has been tested to prove their effects on the cognition and memory of mice and rats. We are not talking about red wine as the alcohol content is not good for short term memory.
- Your brain cannot operate without the energy that it gets from the foods that you eat, which in turn helps you to concentrate. Glucose present in whole grain foods helps with this; they have a low GI index which means that they release the glucose slowly and keeps your brain alert throughout the day. You can also eat brown cereals, brown pasta, and granary bread or wheat bran.